About this item
- Domestic Gulf brown shrimp caught in the great state of Texas
- Philly's Premium has a family history of 82 years in the Gulf shrimp industry
- Local product from local fishermen
- Deep water shrimp know for their high quality and superior taste
- Product can be grilled, boiled, fried or sautéed
The flavor of a domestic Gulf brown shrimp and other crustaceans like lobsters and crabs harvested from brackish or marine waters generally have a sweet flavor. This occurs through an internal process that increases the abundance of free amino acids in response to salinity. The higher the salinity, the more free amino acids produced which, in turn, create the sweet flavor.
In addition to sweetness, brown shrimp also exhibit an additional flavor attribute often designated as “ocean like”, “rich” and “full" by taste panelists. Wild Gulf brown shrimp are famous for their bold ocean-like flavor which results from their natural diet of marine plants and animals found offshore near the ocean floor. Some of the best tasting shrimp in the world come from the Texas coast.