Hearts of Romaine Lettuce (6 ct.)
About this item
- Romaine lettuce is crisp with sweet flavor
- Contains vitamin C and beta-carotene
- Heart healthy
- No preservatives
- Brand may vary by Club
Place your Club Pickup order 24 hours in advance
To ensure on-time pickup, if requesting more than
10 units at a time please contact your local club
Hearts of Romaine Lettuce are healthy and refreshing. With no preservatives, this straight-from-the-earth source of vitamins A and C is a highly versatile vegetable. Romaine Hearts are the tender center of Romaine lettuce leaves and are a great way to dress up any meal.
How Can You Get Creative With Romaine Hearts?
Use lettuce as a healthy substitute for crackers and bread. Smear a protein source such as chicken salad on a romaine heart with a dash of fresh cracked pepper for a unique twist on lunch. Wrap fresh fish such as Mahi in a Romaine heart for your next taco night. Add kimchi, spices and fish sauce to really kick things up a notch. Romaine hearts are an ideal substitute for those on a low-carb diet as they make excellent wraps and bread substitutes.
Can I Grill Hearts of Romaine Lettuce?
Have fun with your food and try grilling Hearts of Romaine Lettuce for a unique side dish. There are a lot of flavors brought out in the lettuce when grilled. This unique side dish can be decorated in dozens of ways to alter the entire experience of your meal. You could also sear or sauté your hearts for soft and tender juiciness in the center. Add seared Romaine to your soups for an added kick of flavor and texture.
Toss Things Up with Romaine Lettuce
Make a hearty salad for dinner with a mix of Romaine lettuce, Romaine hearts, and spinach. Add fresh vegetables to the mix and you have one seriously-healthy dinner. Smother a Romaine heart in blue cheese and bacon for a yummy salad next to steak and potatoes. Get creative and fry up fish for tacos with Romaine lettuce hearts as the shell. This is a healthy way to substitute for many taco wraps and shells. From sandwiches to soups, adding Romaine hearts to your meals offers texture and flavor.
Recipe: Grilled Romaine Caesar
- ¼ pound Parmesan cheese
- 4 Whole Romaine Hearts
- ½ cup Caesar Vinaigrette
- Parmesan Croutons
- Before grilling whole hearts, brush them with tangy Caesar Vinaigrette to add flavor and protect the tender leaves from the heat. A brief stint over the flames gives the romaine a smoky flavor and gently wilts the outside, leaving the innermost leaves crisp.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon the grated cheese on the parchment paper, making four 3-inch rounds about 1/4-inch thick, spaced 1 inch apart. Bake the cheese until it bubbles and turns golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the Parmesan crisps to paper towels to cool.
- Set up a barbecue grill and preheat it to high.
- Leaving the romaine hearts intact, liberally brush each with some of the Caesar Vinaigrette. Gently separate the leaves so that you can brush the inner leaves, too. Set the remaining Caesar Vinaigrette aside.
- Place the whole romaine hearts on the grill and cook, turning frequently, until the outer leaves are wilted and charred slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the romaine hearts to a cutting board and cut off the stem ends so that the leaves separate. Arrange the romaine on a large platter. Sprinkle the croutons over the lettuce. Arrange the whole Parmesan crisps on the platter or break them into bite-size pieces and sprinkle them over the salad. Serve immediately with the remaining Caesar Vinaigrette on the side.