Should I mattress shop online?
Many consumers now shop online due to convenience and lower prices. Brick and mortar stores must compensate for rent and salespeople, so prices are often higher.
What mattress size is best?
The answer really depends on you and the mattress' intended implementation. Let's look at sizes (manufacturers may vary slightly):
- King beds (76" x 80") and California king-size beds ( 72" x 84") are the biggest and can easily accommodate two people. In addition, some moments warrant extra room for kids and pets to snuggle within the bed as well. The size of the room may play a factor, so it is best to think about space availability before purchasing a king-sized mattress.
- Queen-size beds (60" x 80") are optimal for guest rooms, couples who enjoy sleeping in a close proximity, and single sleepers who appreciate the extra room. Keep in mind that a queen-size mattress provides less room per person than that of two, individual twins.
- Full-size mattresses (53" x 75") are a popular choice for guest bedrooms, small-sized single sleepers, and young to teenaged people. Full-size beds may be too small for tall men and women, so that is a factor to keep in mind.
- Twin mattresses (38" x 75") are great for younger children. Further, many opt to purchase two twin-size beds to emulate the size of a king. Depending on availability of price, sometimes it can be more economical to purchase two twins rather than one king-size bed.
What are the parts of a bed purchase?
There are three parts to consider regarding a mattress purchase: padding or upholstery, inner springs, and a box spring or foundation. People often associate the word mattress with the top layer of the bed – the padding. The mattress padding can consist of three-to-eight layers of padding. The layers consist of man-made materials, natural fibers, and a variety of foams. Padding quantity does not always equal quality – that is why it is important to test certain inner-lying materials. Materials such as wool, silk, and memory foam / latex foam are commonly used in mattress padding. Established brand names and quality of certain padding varies. For instance, foam padding in a $2,000 model will vary from the foam padding in a $3,000 model.
Innerspring coils allow for even weight distribution while sleeping. A mattress' price is usually contingent on the number of coils used in its makeup; yet, like padding, quality of coils differs, so more coils do not necessarily mean a better quality of bed or rest. Coil design, function, and durability vary amongst manufacturers.
Box springs are affixed with mini coils, which help supplement weight absorption. It is believed that a quality box spring can help extend the life of a mattress set. Some mattress sets come affixed with a foundation rather than a box spring. Foundations can be framed in wood or steel, yet do not address shock absorption like box springs.
What about water beds?
It is recommended to give some thought to the purchase of a water bed. Waterbeds may not be for everyone, yet waterbeds do offer some advantages over traditional beds. Water beds can be heated; the life spans of waterbeds are a couple years longer; and waterbeds are not as susceptible to microscopic parasites that may trigger asthma, eczema, or allergies.
What are some mattress buying tips?
- Do not be too economically-minded. Some things come at a high price, but are warranted; mattresses fall into this category. Remember, you will spend a third of your life sleeping – purchase a quality mattress.
- You may be able to purchase a box spring of a lesser profile. Box springs may help with a mattress' longevity.
- Think about your sleeping personality. For instance, those sleeping on their sides may get better rest purchasing a bed with uniquely-designed coils rather than one with interconnected coils. In addition, for those sleeping with a partner who tosses and turns, seeking a bed with quality shock absorption may suit them best.
¹All terms and conditions apply. Instant Savings items are subject to availability and dates. Select Instant Savings are available online. State and local laws may require sales tax to be charged on the pre-discounted price of an item with an Instant Savings offer. To view your Instant Savings account, visit SamsClub.com/instantsavings or download the Sam's Club app. Member must have a registered email on SamsClub.com in order to access the Instant Savings account page online. Visit SamsClub.com/instantsavings for program details and terms and conditions. Offer valid only on SamsClub.com from November 27th, 2014 through December 7th, 2014. Offer valid only in the United States. Offer not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.
*With purchase of an iComfort or iSeries mattress and a select Serta Adjustable Foundation. Savings vary by model and size.
**$300 Sam's Club Gift Card applies to Queen and King mattresses and sets. Offer available only with qualified purchases of a Serta iSeries, iSeries Profiles, iComfort or iComfort Directions mattress or set made on SamsClub.com. Offer not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.
†VIP Rewards membership requires a qualified purchase, other terms and conditions also apply. Visit www.serta.com/VIPRewards for details