What Are DVD Players and DVD Technology?
DVD, or digital versatile (or video) disc, is an optical disc storage technology. A DVD has up to 4.7 gigabytes of storage capacity on one side and can hold audio, video, as well as computer data. When compared to the older technology of a VCR, a DVD player offers far superior picture and sound quality.
How to Select a DVD Player
There are a lot of options when it comes to DVD players. You’ll find many different types of DVD players on the market, from portable DVD players to DVD recorders with integrated Freeview and HDMI. With such a plethora of options available, it can get confusing to choose the right DVD player for your needs. As you’re searching for a DVD player, the following are a few things you’ll want to consider.
- Make a note of the type of television that you have. You’ll need a DVD player that has connections that are compatible with your TV. Additionally, formats can make a difference. For instance, if you have a widescreen television, then consider buying a DVD player that offers good widescreen options. If you have an HDTV, then consider purchasing a DVD that supports an HDMI port (though remember that for the best high definition performance you will need a Blu-ray player).
- For you to get the maximum enjoyment from it, your DVD player should be easy to use. Look for a DVD player that has buttons that seem intuitive to you as well as a remote control that’s clearly marked and user friendly.
- If you use language options on your discs, look for a player that provides access to language functionality. Your DVD player should also be able to access any special extras your discs might offer.
- Check the audio connectors of the DVD player to see if they are what you will require. A DVD player may either have an optical or coaxial output; some DVD players have both.
- Take a look at the DVD formats the player supports. Some DVD formats include DVD RAM and DVD+R/RW. Not all DVD players support these types of DVD formats.
- Check the regional compatibility of the DVD player. DVDs from different regions have different regional codes.